Monday, November 14, 2011

Ubuntu and I are no longer friends

I have decided to abandon Ubuntu. I don't know what I am going to use instead yet but with Ubuntu I have had the last straw. I have the same complaints about Canonical's direction as all the other developers but the straw that broke the camel's back was when Brenda said she didn't like it. Yes, that's right Canonical; even the computer-naive don't like it. And guess what; they don't like it for the same reasons that devs don't like it. I won't bother listing the reasons here. The web is already full of detailed complaints and it is not going to change the minds of those at Canonical. What worries me is how much of this is down to Canonical and how much is down to Gnome 3. I will have to do some more research. If Gnome 3 is the source of most of the trouble then the outlook is grim indeed. Debian is moving to Gnome 3 which would mean, as far as I am concerned, the end of Debian as well. This is serious because not only is there no other distro base I can turn to but even if there was, it would only be a matter of time before they adopted Gnome 3 also. I suppose all I can hope for is that someone forks Gnome 2 and continues support so that distros can continue to base their UI on Gnome 2. And before anyone asks, "no I will not go KDE".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Apple posse is waiting patiently for you...

Andrew Marlow said...

Apple? No thanks. I don't use proprietary operating systems. I am going to try Sabayon Linux. It is Ubuntu-based but uses a lightweight window manager so I get all my menus and configurability back.