- I downloaded a netbook ISO image for Maverick Meerkat
- I created a bootable USB drive containing the ISO image. I used unetbootin-linux-549, which I built from a source code download.
- I booted the network using the USB stick and did the install.
- I used the lspci command to reveal that the wireless hardware is a RealTek 8176.
- I googled and found someone with the same problem asking for help on a forum. The web page no longer worked but luckily it was still available in the google cache. Some kind person answered with a very detailed step by step set of instructions. I also tried them and they worked for me too!
The instructions are as follows:
- sudo su
- add-apt-repository ppa:lexical/hwe-wireless
- apt-get update
- apt-get install rtl8192ce-dkms,
This went through a long rigmarole and eventually said
Building initial module for 2.6.35-24-generic Done. r8192ce_pci.ko: Running module version sanity check. - Original module - No original module exists within this kernel - Installation - Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.35-24-generic/updates/dkms/ depmod....... DKMS: install Completed.At this point I rebooted and after the reboot it just worked. Wow.