Thursday, April 09, 2009
The pain of building subversion on solaris
I have eventually managed to get subversion 1.5.0 built on solaris (opensolaris running on VirtualBox actually). At the time of writing this, the most recent version of subversion is 1.6.0. However, I have a requirement to use an older version of subversion, 1.5.0. This is because subversion, subclipse and svnant need to all cooperate with each other. This means dropping back to 1.5.0. When I tried to build subversion 1.5.0 on solaris I got a load of link time errors to do with relocatable code in libneon.a. I eventually found a blog at http://sreekalyan.blogspot.com/2005/07/installing-subversion-on-solaris.html which gave me a hint on how to solve the problem. First, I found I had to use version 0.28.1 of neon. The subversion configure does not like a more recent version and says neon is not there! By default, libneon does not build shared libraries. You have to configure with --enable-shared=yes, an undocumented option no less! I then deleted /usr/local/lib/libneon.a so that it could not be picked up by accident. After a configure in subversion I had to hack the value for the neon library, changing it from libneon.la to libneon.so. Wow, what a pain this was!